Sunday, January 22, 2017

Small Business Solutions: Sewing Organization Board

Before I opened my Etsy shop and brought home my grandmother's sewing machine, my sewing projects were pretty limited. As such, my craft studio lacked sewing-related organization. For years my "sewing kit" consisted of an overstuffed Ziplock baggy. With a sewing-based business startup happening I needed to up my game.

I needed sewing supply storage that was both a space saver and an efficient organizing tool. Naturally, I turned to Pinterest for inspiration. After typing in "sewing organization" I quickly found this little gem that was perfect for small spaces:

I stained a piece of scrap wood then taped off stripes. While I found it pretty, I didn't have the patience to create the chevron pattern so I just made two basic stripes. I also didn't have painter's tape so I used electrical tape instead, which worked just fine. Two coats of ochre colored paint later, I pulled off the tape and had some pretty nice looking straight lines! 

Taped off stripes make painting straight lines a cinch!
I layered Valspar's "La Fonda Ortiz Gold" paint over
Minwax's Red Mahogany stain.
Carefully peel off the tape once the paint dries.
The next step was to add the nails. I laid out all the sewing materials I wanted to store on my board then hammered small finishing nails in place. This was also a nice stress relieving exercise, to be honest. I made sure to angle the nails slightly upwards to ensure my thread spools wouldn't slide off. 

All that was left to do was screw the board to the wall over my sewing space (and under my last project, the DIY idea board!), hang my materials on the nails, and pat myself on the back for a job well done. 

Two screws keep the board firmly anchored to the wall
My idea board, my sewing board, and my grandmother's 1959 Singer
sewing machine keep my workspace neat and functional.

 I couldn't be happier with this Pinterest find. It took less than an hour to make from start to finish and it suits my small space perfectly. It's nice to have everything within reach as I'm making bags and it's definitely a step up from my Ziplock baggy sewing kit!

One part inspiration and two parts perspiration, isn't that the saying? Happy crafting, all!


No comments:

Post a Comment